PANAJI: Vasco Sports Club ended their Selvel Goa Professional League on a high with a 2-1 comeback win over FC Goa in their final league match of the season at Duler Stadium, Mapusa, on Wednesday.

Vasco’s Denil Rebello scored an injury time match-winner after Mathew Colaco had cancelled out Delton Colaco’s strike for FC Goa Developmental side.

The Port-Towners finished the GFA ProLeague campaign with 16 points while FC Goa remained on 15 points with a game in hand.

FC Goa were dominant from the word go and they had the first real chance in the eighth minute but were denied with a goalline save by Warren Pereira. Vasco keeper Sanju failed to collect Kapil Hoble’s cross which then Delton capitalised on to and sent the ball towards the goal only to see it cleared off the line.

While FC Goa came close, Vasco came even closer when Denil Rebello set Joaquim Abranches through on goal. The veteran striker covered some distance and fired a shot which however struck the post.

Vasco custodian made a crucial interception in the 38th minute when he pushed Delton’s cross out of danger and then came up with a superb save to deny Sarineo from inside the box.

At the other end, Vasco SC had a chance to surge but Mathew Colaco, who had just the keeper to beat, shot straight at him instead.

The second half started on a slower note as the teams were restricted to a midfield battle. However at the hour-mark, the match took an ugly turn when FC Goa goalkeeper coach Sugitesh Mandrekar pushed Vasco SC’s Desmon Gama at the touchline, compelling Vasco coach Micky Fernandes to get into an altercation with the FC Goa officials. Referee Sunil Nanodkar flashed straight red to Micky for using abusive language while Sugitesh was warned with a yellow card.

Vasco SC soon conceded the goal in the 66th minute when Kapil Hoble sent a long ball in the penalty area from the right wing, where Vasco defender managed to get a touch of his head, however, the ball travelled to Delton Colaco, who fired a shot past Vasco custodian Sanju Thapa.

Vasco SC came up with an immediate reply scoring the equaliser from a counter-attack. In the 67th minute, Denil Rebello set Mathew through on goal who kept his composure in scoring past the FC Goa custodian making amend to his earlier misses.

The Port-Towners scored the match-winner in the stoppage time when Francis Fernandes set up Denil Rebello inside the box and the last-named scored with a composed finish to record a fine comeback win.

Vasco nearly scored the third but Mathew’s goal was rightly ruled off-side by the assistant referee. Vasco’s Sanwil D’Costa was sent off with a double booking for his two-footed challenge on a FC Goa player.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here